Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

I don't really like Halloween, but being a first grade teacher kind of forces you to dress up and embrace this ridiculous holiday. In the past, I have always been a cow. The reasons being:

-It was only $7 at Wal-Mart
-I refuse to be a witch (so cliche, every does it)
-The only other costumes available were slutty versions. First grade teachers can't be slutty. It's in the handbook.

That being said, I still think I made a pretty cute cow.



Last year, I tried SO HARD to find a different costume, but all I could find were witches, slutty versions, or costumes over $50. That's a bit out of my price range. So, I ended up being a cow... again. I didn't really mind, since I only wore it at school and the children think it is so funny.

This year, I FINALLY found the PERFECT costume. I was in a costume shop in Pocatello and saw it. The Tooth Fairy! But the premade version was $52.99! Yeah right! So my dear friend, Victoria offered to help me create my own version. I have to say, it is much better!



My class LOVED it! And I felt great wearing this costume, instead of the cow. You can't really tell int he picture, but my hair was all glittery. I also had white tights and silver flats.

So from now on, I will be the Tooth Fairy!

I didn't do much celebrating. We had a school carnival on Friday night which I helped out at. Each teacher did their own station and got to keep all the profit. It was a great idea and I ended up earning about $112. Oh the things I can buy...

On Saturday I was too worn out from the busy weeks and needed a day off. But today, my friend Wendy and I made delicious Halloween sugar cookies. My mom's recipe is my all time favorite, and I make them every holiday. You should all feel so lucky I am going to share it with you!

Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture 1/3 at a time.

Chill 3-4 hours. (But, if you are as impatient as I am, about 30 minutes in the freezer)
Roll 1/4 inch thick
Bake at 375 for about 6 minutes

Frosting
1 tablespoon soft butter
2 cups icing sugar (or powdered sugar in America)
vanilla
milk

Enjoy!